The IFAR Early Career Network is composed of researchers, students, and other employees in aviation research from IFAR member agencies. We aim to support the growth of young researchers with high potential for national and international leadership.
Joining is FREE and easy, and is open to anyone affiliated with an IFAR member institution.
- Register with IFARlink.aero to get access to all of the resources that the full IFAR community has to offer (this includes opportunities for young researchers, as well as networks composed of experienced researchers and global executives at aeronautics research institutions, news, job postings, and more).
- Once you have registered with IFARlink, join the online Early Career Network group by clicking on Groups --> All Groups --> IFAR Early Career Network (ECN).
Why should you join?
- Network with other early career researchers from around the globe.
- Get Mentored for leadership by aeronautics research executives.
- Disseminate your research through virtual gatherings.
- Attend special face-to-face gatherings at international conferences.
- Learn about technical and non-technical topics in skill-mix groups.
- Author reports to IFAR leadership about your vision for the future of aviation.
Scroll through the following page to learn more about the following and to register for public events:
- 20 June: MAKS Participant virtual gathering (by invitation only)
- 29 June: VKI Research Master Graduate Students End-of-Year Symposium
- Paris Air Show
- TsAGI (Russia) "NEW GENERATION" Program at MAKS 2017, Participant Page: [New Generation MAKS 2017]
(note that if you are not logged into IFARlink, you must scroll below the dashboard to access this page's content)
VKI Research Master Graduating Student Symposium
29 June 2017: 2:00-4:30 PM CET (Brussels, Belgium), 8:00-10:30 AM ET (Washington, DC)
Presenter: TBD, Multiple Speakers
Program Details: Each year at the end of June a new class of students celebrates its graduation in the VKI Research Master programme. This programme is a one year Master after Master specialization in Fluid Dynamics with 3 options: Aerospace, Turbomachinery, and Propulsion and Environmental and Applied Fluid Dynamics.
This virtual gathering offers a view on the research master project achievements of the best graduates of 2017. Three candidates will be selected after their final examination. The final list and abstracts will be published by June 23rd.
14:00 Welcome by the Faculty member.
Program Details: The Research Master of the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics (VKI) is a one-year postgraduate program at “Master-after-Master” level (also known as VKI Diploma Course) with a 60-years tradition. The program offers a wide choice of specialized courses on various aspects of fluid dynamics. Half of the year is devoted to a personal research project under close guidance by members of the faculty. The research may be experimental, theoretical, or computational in nature. The VKI Research Master in Fluid Dynamics complements the master programs of universities with a profound research oriented specialization. Every year, about thirty young engineers and scientists, originating from more than 15 countries work together in a unique international team spirit, following a tradition of excellence initiated by Theodore von Karman in 1956
Face-to-Face Gatherings and Opportunities
15 June 2017
Each IFAR member may nominate one candidate toward the ICAS Congress 2018 in Brasil. The deadline of the nomination is 15th of June 2017. Each IFAR member has its own method of assessing nominations, so please work within your organization if you are interested in nominating someone or being nominated for the award.
Paris Air Show ECN Social Gathering and ONERA Tour
21 June 2017
This face-to-face event is dedicated to early career professionals from IFAR member organizations and is organized by ONERA in conjunction with the 2017 Paris Air Show. The tentative schedule includes the following:
- Guided visit of various aerospace industry booths
- Professional development session with the European Space Agency former director Jean-Jacques Dordain
- Free time to check out the planes in static display and flight demonstrations
Please note: Accommodations and travel must be funded by attendees.
TsAGI (Russia) "NEW GENERATION" Program
Participant Page: [New Generation MAKS 2017] - note that if you are not logged into IFARlink, you must scroll below the dashboard to access this page's content.
[See Call for Participants] - Application period for this opportunity is now closed.
16-21 July 2017
Young specialists of IFAR member organizations are invited to participate in the "NEW GENERATION" program in Moscow from 16-21 July 2017. TsAGI (Russia) supported by "ROSSOTRUDNICHESTVO" Federal Agency, is planning to organize the visit of the young specialists in aeronautics to Russia during the INTERNATIONAL AIR SHOW "MAKS 2017" (Moscow region, Zhukovsky). The Russian side shall cover all the expenses with regard to the visit, including:
- Flight to and from Moscow (economy class)
- Pick-up at the airport and transfer to the hotel
- Moscow hotel accommodation (4-5 nights), two-star hotel, individual single rooms
- Three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Transportation to the places of events (activities)
- Participation in the Eurasian Aerospace Congress 2017
- "MAKS 2017" tickets
- Some cultural activities
- Transfer from the hotel to the airport
- Visa supports, invitations
Prior ECN Events
See recordings of all virtual sessions here.
- Virtual Session: JAXA Research and Design of Unmanned Aircraft Systems for a Disaster Risk Reduction, JAXA, 14 June 2017
- Virtual Session: Computational Analysis and Proposed Redesign of the 3-Stage Axial Compressor in the 11-by-11-Foot Transonic Wind Tunnel at NASA Ames Research Center, by Sameer Kulkarni, NASA, 24 May 2017
- Virtual Session: Prototype Design and Computational Fluid Dynamics by Alexandru Persinaru, INCAS, 19 April 2017
- Virtual Session: Real-Time Safety Monitoring and Prediction in the National Airspace by Matthew Daigle, NASA, 22 March 2017
- Virtual Session: Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics PhD Research Symposium by various speakers, VKI, 3 March 2017
- Virtual Session: Unmanned Aircraft Systems Activities within ONERA, ONERA, 27 February 2017
- Face to Face: Tour of Johnson Space Center, USA
- Face to Face: Mentoring Session at AIAA Conference, USA
- Face to Face: Young Researcher Conference at the IFAR Summit, South Korea
- Virtual Session: AIRCAST - A Model Suite for the Next Generation of Aviation Scenarios, DLR, 26 August 2016
- Virtual Session: Composites, Ceramics, and Coatings: Game-Changing Materials for the Next Generation of Turbine Engines, NASA, 18 May 2016
- Virtual Session: 21st Century Aviation Challenges: 47th Annual Meeting of Japan Society of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, JAXA/NASA, 15 April 2016
- Virtual Session: Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics PhD Research Symposium, VKI, 3 March 2016
- Face to Face: Young Researcher Conference at the IFAR Summit, Moffett Field, USA, October 2015
- Virtual Session: Alternative Fuels Virtual Gathering, NRC/TsAGI, 16 September 2015
- Virtual Session: Air Traffic Management, JAXA/NASA, 20 May 2015
- Virtual Session: Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics PhD Research Symposium, VKI, 13 March 2015
- Virtual Session: 3rd International Conference on Buckling and Postbuckling Behavior of Laminated Shell Structures with DESICOS Workshop, DLR, 25 March 2015
- Face to Face: Young Researcher Conference at the IFAR Summit, Zhuhai, China
- Virtual Session: IFAR Kickoff, DLR/NASA, 21 August 2014
- Face to Face: Young Researcher Conference at the IFAR Summit, Russia